Gluten Free Chocolate Ginger Cookie
(makes 2 dozen)
- 1/2 – 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips or 1/4″ chocolate chunks
- 1 1/2 cups brown rice flour
- 1/2 cup potato flour
- 1/4 cup tapioca flour
- 1/8 tsp xanthan gum
- 1 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 Tbsp cocoa powder
- 8 Tbsp (1 stick) unsalted butter or Earth Balance
- 1 Tbsp freshly grated ginger
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup unsulfured molasses
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper to prevent overcooking the cookie bottoms. Heat oven to 325 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, mix together flours, xanthan gum, ground ginger, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg and cocoa powder.
- With an electric mixer in a separate bowl; beat together butter and grated ginger until whitened, about 4 minutes. Add brown sugar; beat until combined. Add molasses; beat until combined.
- In a small bowl, dissolve baking soda in 1 1/2 teaspoons boiling water. Beat half of flour mixture into butter mixture. Beat in baking soda mixture, then add the remaining half of flour mixture. Mix in chocolate. Turn dough out onto a large piece of waxed paper. Pat or roll dough out to about 1 inch thick; wrap dough with waxed paper. Refrigerate until firm, about 2 hours.
- Pour granulated sugar into bowl. Roll dough into 1 1/2 inch balls, dip in granulated sugar. Place balls on parchment lined baking sheets, sugared side up. Bake until the top surface cracks slightly, about 10-12 minutes. Let cool 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool.