Prevention, Acute Stage, & Recovery
It is important to note that Chinese Medicine is extremely effective as a preventative measure. Regular acupuncture can help to balance the body thus decreasing frequency of illness. Our recommendations listed below are useful for prevention, and can also help to kick a sickness out once it begins, shortening down time. Once immunity is compromised, it is important to rebuild it. Simply adding certain foods and herbs into your regular diet can help you remain healthy and happy all year long.
What Chinese herbs help boost immunity?
Listed below are two examples of herbal formulas that may be prescribed by a Licensed Acupuncturist & Herbalist. The formula chosen will reflect the patient’s presentation of symptoms.
- Dong Chong Xia Cao (Cordyceps)
This formula boosts immunity by increasing number of white blood cells which act as our body’s first line of defense once pathogens enter the body. Cordyceps aid our body in fighting various infections.
- Yu Ping Feng San (Jade Windscreen Powder)
It is a classic formula that boosts immunity when patients present symptoms such as chills and fever and spontaneous sweating. It’s a great formula for patients that are prone to catching colds and great for prevention and for rebuilding immunity after illness.
Individual herbs can be added to water for tea or to bone broth (see below) for an extra boost.
What foods can I eat to strengthen immunity during the cold/flu season?
• Foods rich in Vitamin A—Liver, beef, eggs, butter, and cheese
~Vitamin A strengthens immune response and mucus membranes.
• Foods rich in Vitamin C—Broccoli, citrus fruit, greens, and strawberries.
~Vitamin C fights inflammatory diseases and infections
• Garlic and onions—These foods have a natural antibiotic effect.
• Drink plenty of fluids and eat soup to prevent dehydration and flush the body.
Immunity Tea Recipe
1 Tsp of Goji berries
5 Da Zao (jujubes)
3 slices of ginger (peeled & bruised)
Bone broth has numerous health benefits, one of which is improving immunity. It is jam-packed with nutrients which heal the body from the inside out. On top of boosting immunity, it also benefits connective tissue, bones, and digestive system to name but a few. Bone broth is an excellent tool for recovery from sickness, injury, and surgery as well.
Bone broth can be bought or made from scratch. If you want to make your own, try this recipe: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/beef-bone-broth-51260700
Pre-made refrigerated: http://www.kitchenwitchbroth.com
Both of the bone broth companies mentioned above are owned and operated by Licensed Acupuncturists as this superfood is widely known for its healing qualities.
• Try to layer your clothing making sure hands, feet, and neck are covered.
• Take measures to boost immunity before traveling by plane or other public transportation.
• Drink room temperature or warm water with half a lemon squeezed in every morning to start your day with a dose of vitamin C and cleanse the body.
• When running the heat in your home and elsewhere, use saline spray to moisten the nasal passages and avoid dryness.