Making your own ice pack is a great economic solution to buying the more expensive versions. It is also nice to make one so that you don’t ruin your bags of peas during a more acute injury that requires regular ice treatments. We use rubbing alcohol since it is cheap and it drops the freezing point of the water allowing it to stay moldable so that it will take the shape of the body part that you are placing it on.
- 2 parts water : 1 part alcohol (Use a measuring cup)
- Place a quart sized or larger freezer bag in a bowl
- Label the freezer bag so that the contents are not consumed by anyone in your household.
- Pour the liquid into the freezer bag. Make sure that you remove as much air as possible so that the bag will seal properly. Make sure to fill bag only ½ full as things expand a bit when frozen.
- Double bag the freezer bag so no leaks occur.
- Place in the freezer and wait at least 3 hours before using.
- Store the ice pack in the freezer until needed.