Gluten-free, Dairy-free Fudge made with homemade sweetened condensed milk
By: Nicole @ Gluten-Free on a Shoestring.com
Prep time: 5 mins
Cook time: 10 mins
Total time: 15 mins
Gluten-free, Dairy-free Fudge made with homemade sweetened condensed dairy-free milk, peanut butter optional
2 cans coconut milk (regular, not low fat)
1/2 cup sugar
3 cups dairy free semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
1 1/2 cups natural peanut butter (optional)
1. Line an 8 inch square baking pan with crisscrossed sheets of parchment paper that overhang the sides. These will be your handles when you are ready to remove the fudge from the pan once it’s set.
2. In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, bring the coconut milk and sugar to a boil. Continue to boil, stirring constantly, until the mixture is reduced by about half, and the milk is thick and has begun to turn light amber in color as the sugars begin to caramelize (about 10 minutes of constant stirring). While it is reducing, the milk will bubble quite a lot, but will not overflow as long as you keep stirring. Once it is done, remove the pan from the heat.
3. Add the chocolate, vanilla and salt to the saucepan, and stir vigorously until the chocolate is melted and the mixture is smooth. Add the (optional) peanut butter to the mixture, and stir until well-combined.
4. Pour the fudge into the prepared pan and shake until the fudge is spread evenly and bang the pan flat on the table a couple times to ensure that there are no trapped air bubbles.
5. Place the pan in the refrigerator and chill until set, at least 2 hours and up to overnight. Once the fudge seems to be set, remove it from the pan using the overhanging sheets of parchment paper and slice it with a large wet knife into 16 pieces.
6. Serve chilled.
You can, of course, substitute 1 14 ounce can of sweetened condensed milk for the coconut milk and 1/2 cup sugar.